Skip to main content

FOOD DIARY - What I Ate Today


Hello everyone! So today I thought I'd change it up a bit and do a "what I ate today" style post. I love these kinds of posts! It's so much fun seeing what healthy foods people are eating throughout the day. I find it really interesting and it's a great way to get inspired and try new things!

BREAKFAST

So for breakfast this morning I kept it simple and had a bowl of oatmeal topped with walnuts, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, dried apricots and some fresh raspberries. I also added some almond milk and a drizzle of honey before eating to add some moisture and a bit more sweetness.

I also had a tall glass of water with lemon before eating and a coffee to enjoy with my oatmeal.


LUNCH

I've been making an effort lately to increase my veggie intake. I find the easiest way to do that is to have a nice big salad for lunch. Today I just had a variety of veggies and a couple of Sesame flavored Ryvita crackers but on most days I'll add some sort of protein like tuna, leftover chicken or beans which makes this salad more of a hearty meal.

To drink I had more water and a cup of peppermint tea.

SNACK

For a mid afternoon snack I had (which I forgot to take a picture of!!!) an apple sliced up and dipped into about 1 tbsp. of natural peanut butter. I also had a cup of green tea.



SUPPER

For supper I ended up making stuffed peppers...which I haven't made in ages! These were so good...savory and completely satisfying. For a side I made a quick salad with some mixed greens and dressed them with a bit of olive oil, lemon juice and some salt and pepper to taste.

I made these peppers with ground beef but they could easily be turned into a vegetarian/vegan version by using a meat substitute like Veggie Ground Round by Yves or by making the filling with only rice and some added sauteed or roasted veggies and lentils.

STUFFED PEPPERS

NOTE* I didn't follow any particular recipe for this dish. Listed below are the approximate ingredient amounts and what I did to make these stuffed peppers.

-1 pound lean ground beef
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 small to medium onion, chopped
-1 tsp. dried basil (more or less to your taste)
-4-5 leaves fresh basil (optional)
-a healthy pinch of chili flakes (depending on how hot you like it)
-1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
-3-4 tbsp. tomato paste
-1 cup beef stock (low sodium) or water
-2 tbsp. olive oil
-4-5 peppers (green, yellow, orange or red)
-1-2 cups cooked rice (I used leftover brown rice from the night before)
-salt and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Clean the peppers by removing tops and discarding the seeds.

3. Arrange peppers in a baking dish and place them standing up. You can slice a bit off the bottom to make a flat surface to help them stand on their own.

3. In a skillet, saute the garlic and onions in the olive oil just until fragrant then add the ground beef.

4. Add the basil and chili flakes, the Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, stock or water and stir until combined.

5. Cook this mixture until beef has turned brown and the liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat.

6. In a bowl combine meat mixture with cooked rice. Tear fresh basil leaves into the mixture and combine thoroughly.

7. Spoon mixture into peppers and bake for approx. 1 hour or until peppers are tender but still holding their shape.

You can also add some grated cheese to the tops of your peppers half way through the baking time to make it extra good!

ENJOY!

Thanks for reading!

CHELSEA


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

STRAWBERRY BANANA SMOOTHIE BOWL

Smoothie bowls have quickly become a morning staple for me! They are such a great way to get a variety of nutrients in one simple blend. I especially love how quick and effortless they are...and filling!

I've been finding some really nice, beautifully ripe strawberries at the grocery store lately so I really wanted to use them in a smoothie bowl. I topped this luscious pink blend with some sliced kiwi, shredded unsweetened coconut, chia seeds and cacao nibs for a little crunch.

SPIRULINA CHIA SEED PUDDING

Chia seeds are a staple in my kitchen. I throw them on salads, oatmeal, in smoothies and make a super simple and delicious pudding with them. Chia pudding is such a versatile dish. You can eat it with fruit, nuts, seeds, top it with granola, coconut yogurt or layer it "parfait style" with berries or fruit purees just to name a few of it's endless possibilities.

For this recipe I topped it with a chia, hemp and buckwheat cereal, some fresh berries and added some Spirulina powder to the basic chia pudding recipe to get this beautiful turquoise color.

CHOCOLATE CHERRY NICE CREAM

Hello everyone! Chocolate and cherries are one of my favorite combinations. They compliment each other beautifully! This chocolate cherry nice cream is luscious, decadent, extremely satisfying and very easy to make. It's a perfect "guilty free" dessert or snack option.
CHERRIES contain powerful antioxidant properties. They are high in fiber and vitamin C. They also have anti-inflammatory properties.
RAW CACAO is considered a superfood that is high in magnesium, zinc, calcium, sulfur, copper, iron, potassium and manganese. It has powerful antioxidant properties and contains some B vitamins, protein and fiber.