Tuesday, 12 April 2016

MILLET TUNA & VEGGIE SALAD ~ High Protein, Colorful & Delish!

Hello lovelies! Hope you're having a wonderful day! Today's post is all about a big healthy and hearty salad. This colorful bowl of goodness is full of protein, fiber, healthy fats and nutrients. It's easy to make and you can use whatever you have on hand. I like to call this a "clean out your fridge" salad because you can pretty much use whatever you have hanging around in the veggie drawer. It's also a great way to use up leftover grains you may have from the night before.

So let's take a look!


I typically eat salads like this for lunch because they are so nutrient dense and fill me up until supper. I usually workout around 10:30 in the morning so when I'm finished with my workout I'm pretty hungry and looking for a good dose of protein. This kind of salad is loaded with clean/lean protein and feels very refreshing and replenishing.


I had some left over millet from the night before so I tossed some of it with some cucumbers, red peppers, yellow grape tomatoes and some finely chopped shallots. I also added a can of drained chunk white low sodium tuna packed in water to this mixer.


On a plate I made a bed of some organic arugula...approximately 2 large handfuls.

Arugula is a good source of folic acid, Vitamins C, K and A as well as minerals like potassium, iron, calcium and manganese.


Tuna is a great source of lean protein. One can has approximately 30 grams! It also contains high amounts of selenium and potassium as well as omega-3 fatty acids and B vitamins.


I topped the bed of arugula with the millet/tuna/veggie mixture and then dressed the salad with some Raw Avocado Oil...approximately 2 tbsps. drizzled over the top. I then squeezed some fresh lemon juice over the salad and sprinkled it with salt & pepper to taste.


I used avocado oil today but you could use any good quality oil you like. Raw Avocado Oil is a rich source of Oleic acid...a monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid, potassium, magnesium and vitamin E. It has a somewhat strong flavor so if you like something a little lighter tasting a good quality olive oil, walnut oil or grapeseed oil would be delish!


Millet is an amazing grain! It's gluten free and high in protein, B vitamins, calcium, iron, potassium, zinc, magnesium and fiber. This grain is so versatile. I love eating it for breakfast topped with fresh fruit, nuts or seeds...drizzled with honey and a splash of almond milk or for lunch like today or as a side dish with sauteed veggies for supper. Quick, easy & satisfying!

I hope you enjoyed today's post & thanks so much for reading!

CHELSEA XO

No comments:

Post a Comment